Monday, January 7, 2008

The Mother of Jesus

I had a wonderful lesson this Christmas season in Young Womens about Mary the mother of Jesus. Instead of just focusing on Jesus's birth Jennymae (a wonderful teacher) had us look up scriptures that talked about Mary's character. I have been pondering a lot about motherhood this season, and how I can take the characteristics of Mary and other righteous women and exemplify them in my life and as a mother. In Luke Mary is referred to as a women "highly favoured, [and] the Lord is with thee (Luke 1:28)." Mary's reply to the salutations of the angel, "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word (Luke 1:38)." I'm sure that Mary did not understand all that would come to pass, but she faithfully says here am I Lord, send me. Later Mary reflects on her calling from the Lord with Elisabeth, My soul doth magnify the Lord and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour (Luke 1: 46-47)." What a women of power and faith!! Several times in the scriptures Mary is pondering, and reflecting: She "cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be (Luke 1: 29)." Luke 2 gives another example when Mary found Jesus in the temple.


48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
50 And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.
51 ... but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.

I hope that I can become a women highly favored of the Lord, a women and mother who (like Sister Beck said) has power and influence in the lives of my children. I hope that my children can look back one day and say my mother was a mother who knew!

2 comments:

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

That was a fabulous lesson that Jennymae gave! I am so glad to hear your thoughts on it, you are an inspiring mother!

lori said...

I'm so grateful to have such wonderful, inspiring friends! Thanks for this thought-provoking post, Rach!!!

And your Christmas pictures - AH!! Beautiful snow, super cute hats, fun activities...what a happy family - we love you guys!