Sunday, December 19, 2010

Austria Conference 2010

Hello, this is Jared speaking. I don't frequent blog-space often, but I had a great experience in November that I wanted to share. I have loved my time thus far at Penn State. I have been able to work with some of the professors who are leaders in the field. Another great asset here at Penn State is that they are very willing to give students money. I've benefited from this a couple of times, but the best so far was attending the Austrian/Swiss American Studies conference in Innsbruck Austria. I and eleven other students traveled all on the schools dime. I had a wonderful time. I was able to make connections with several of my European counterparts and of course Innsbruck was fantastic! Innsbruck is in the heart of the Alps and they have hosted two winter Olympics in the nearby mountains. I loved the history and food! I just wish my German was a little better.


Innsbruck is known for its "gold" roofs, and this restaurant had some of the best Goulash.


We stayed at the Hotel Grauer Bar (Grey Bear). It had a very classic architecture but the interior was very modern. My favorite part of our room was the heated bathroom floor. We need to install one.


This was a view from our hotel. The university was right across the street.

The Alps reminded me of the Rockies, but the valleys were smaller and the mountains (I felt) much more attractive.

What I was surprised of most was the number of small shops and restaurants. When I was shopping for gifts for the kids I looked an entire morning. I hate shopping. I would never shop for a morning in a mall here in the States. But there it was refreshing and everything was beautiful.

They also had several Swarovski Crystal stores. I brought Rachel an early Christmas gift, and I would have loved to purchased this for the kids but I didn't have that many Euros. But if I bought this dragon it would have won me "Father of the Year" for sure.

I spent several mornings and afternoons just walking around the city playing the typical tourist part of snapping pictures. But how could I not. The colors, the people, the culture was intoxicating.


The churches were beautiful. Great examples of Baroque architecture.



The final night of the conference we were treated to a special dinner at an old officers club high in the mountains. It was a perfect evening to a intellectually stimulating conference.

I cannot rave enough about the food! Their approach and lifestyle were drastically different and it showed in their care and love for food. These are some pictures of the produce and bread (baked daily) at a small market by the hotel.


In all I loved Innsbruck. My only regret is that Rachel and the kids could not be there with me. Well I guess I might have to start looking at Fulbright opportunities in Austria!

5 comments:

capturingtheride said...

What an awesome opportunity - looks gorgeous!

J said...

Fulbright! Yes, yes, yes. I come and be your nanny/interpreter!

DrKemp said...

oh my goodness! those alps are gorgeous! it is my dream to visit there someday! I'm so glad you had a great time!

Nicole Chan said...

wow! these pictures are awesome. If you move there so will we. I felt the same way about Switzerland this summer, I wanted to move there asap.

Jo Lynn said...

Wow Jared, what an opportunity! Those pictures are absolutely beautiful!!!