Thursday, December 2, 2010

Friends, Festivities, and Fun

We had a BUSY holiday!! We spent a lovely time at the Rife's for Thanksgiving. Joining families is a wonderful thing. I have enjoyed the added traditions, Lynette's creamy mashed potatoes, Jeanene's chocolate pistachio cake and rolls, and of course the most important the new acquaintances that become friends. I also can't help but feel a longing for the old traditions too...sparkling cider with dinner, Grandma Tope's pies, and of course the sweetness of being surrounded by my family. This Thanksgiving seemed a little lonelier as I thought of Grandma Tope and subsequently my Grandma and Grandpa Kemp, and Grandpa Tope...all of whom have gone home the last 2 years.

So in this Thanksgiving season I give thanks for loving Grandparents, for great traditions, for family and friends, for an understanding Jared, and of course for my sweet children!

Madi all ready for Thanksgiving dinner!
What a beautiful little girl!

Madi wanting Grandma's beaded necklace (which she was using to distract her while Jared took her picture.)

Madi REALLY wanting the beaded necklace.

Nothing better than a little snuggle book time.


Madison loving on the dogs....

...again

...again

...and again!

Oh, Jack got a little love too!


Ahh...more snuggle book time.

Our vacation was extended by a visit from Heather and kids. We had lots of exciting moments. How can you not with five kids under the age of five? We went to Chocolate World and went on the free ride (which the kids loved and we repeated.) We also saw the ginger bread house made of all chocolate!! Super cool!! I didn't have my camera but will get pics later.

Heather and I got to go to dinner (Jared watched all the kids). It was such a treat! We were gone for about an 1 1/2 hours and it felt like we got more talking done in that hour than all three days! Thanks for coming Heather!!

We also got a tree and had the kids decorate for Family Home Evening. The loved it. I loved it!! It is the first time in 10+ years that I've had a real tree. It smells SO GOOD! I just love Christmas trees. I love sitting in my living room, especially when the kids are down and it is dark outside, listening to Josh Groban (Christmas CD) and soaking in the lights. My mind often wanders to the beautiful things in my life...my children, my husband, the gospel, and of course the Savior. How grateful I am for that tiny baby Jesus that was born so long ago...yet some way is so involved in my life!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Rachel, you and Jared are the heros in our lives right now! Thanks for such a great time. It was just what we needed.

capturingtheride said...

Looks fun and festive!

I missed Grandma Tope's pies this year, too :)

Very much looking forward to seeing you in a few short weeks!