Madison and I were able to make a last minute trip to Utah to visit my Grandpa Kemp. He was diagnosed with Lymphoma about a year ago. He recently discovered that the chemo was not kicking the cancer so he stopped treatment. We know his days are limited and I could not bear the thought of not seeing him again.We had a wonderful time visiting family and friends. My Dad and Terri were there which was a great treat too. I mostly spent time just being as close as I could to my Grandpa. There were a few quiet moments where I was able to slip away and get some alone time with him. We sat in the dinning room rockers and talked about life and death. Grandpa recounted parts of his life. We talked about what the transition from here to the spirit world would be like. We agreed that it is exciting, but also hard to say goodbye.
The night before I left we embraced, cried, and said our goodbyes. But the image that I hold in my mind is when I said goodbye the next morning. I had to leave early and I went to kiss him goodbye before I slipped out. He woke with a beautiful smile on his face. That is how I will remember him, happy, strong, good, loving. Thanks for your goodness, your friendship and your love. Your the best Grandpa a girl could get!!

Madison ready to go! She must have been just as excited as I was.





Yumm! Aunt Pam hooking make up with some sweets. She didn't eat much on the trip but she was very excited to eat this!





2 comments:
I am so glad you got to take that trip, Rach!
Love and miss you tons! Wish I could help get you all moved and settled :)
Oh Rachel, I'm absolutely in tears right now! What a beautiful post and what a wonderful way to say goodbye!!! I can barely type right now cuz of my blurry vision, truly what a blessing to have that special time with him! It breaks my heart that our kids won't know our Grandparents the way we do, but I guess that takes over the role of our parents...still I just wish death never took them away.
Post a Comment