Saturday, November 15, 2008

This will be the last....

I have been tagged a few times and in response to those tags I will do the most recent which asks me to name seven quirks about myself. Now you must realize that this will cover me from tags forever more! Here goes...

First, I have a thing with uncomfortable material. I don't think I was always this way but I have the cutest shirts and sweatshirts that I never wear because it gives me the heebie-jeebies when I think about putting that particular material over my arms. Weird...I know but nevertheless I still have a problem with it. It is like people and food textures but my clothes instead. I have even carried it over to my son. I can't see him in clothes that are too tight (around the arms), to short, or bad material...much to my mother-in-laws dismay.

Second, my husband calls me the official wiggle-wart. I can't just hop into bed and go to sleep (boy wouldn't that be nice) I have got to go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, and then get situated in bed. It takes me a lot of wiggling to find the right position before I can fall asleep. If for some reason I have to get up...I have got to use the bathroom, get a drink, and back to wiggling before I can fall asleep. Sounds tiring huh?

Third, I like my meals HOT! There is nothing more frustrating than working hard to prepare a good meal and having it get cold before everyone arrives to eat it. I like to eat it hot and I like those who I'm feeding to eat it hot. Unless its cold soup.

Forth, when cooking pancakes I always have to slash the middle when I flip them. It is something I have seen my step-mother do and a pancake doesn't look quite right unless it is slashed.

Now, I, Jared, must add my four. Rachel and I figured that we could kill two birds with one stone, and since I too have been tagged multiple times I would add some of my quirks/oddities/idiosyncrasies.

One, when I brush my teeth I do not wet the toothbrush with water. I simply take my toothbrush, add toothpaste, and then stick it in my mouth and clean away. I don't run the toothbrush under water and then apply the toothpaste, nor do I apply the toothpaste then wet them both and then brush. I figure my mouth is wet enough anyways and why dilute the cleaning ability of my toothpaste. It’s either go big or go home.

Two, I hate neck hair on my neck. I shave it probably every week to two weeks. It is also tough for me to see it on other guys. If I can tell that a guy hasn't trimmed his neck hair since his last hair cut, and the last time he got a hair cut was three months ago, it gives me the willies. If you can braid your neck hair, it’s time for a trim.

Three, I am a checklist guy. I make all kinds of checklists. Things that need to be done (what do I need to do today, this week, this month), how to do things (how I set the table), how to run things (like a fireside or activity), how to write papers (I won’t give up this secret), how to read a non-fiction scholarly book(read the index, then the references, the end notes, then the first chapter and the last chapter, then the rest of the book), how to clean the house (start with the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen then the rest of the house), I think you get the point. When I get up in the morning I follow my checklist, when I go to sleep at night I follow my checklist. I have a check list when I first get on the computer of the sites I visit. When I pack a bag for a trip I follow a checklist. When I leave the house in the morning, I follow a checklist (wallet, keys, chap stick, phone, coat, hat (optional)). This isn't to say that spontaneity is something that doesn't happen in my life, I've always thought that lists only make sense after you have had your fun.

Fourth, I have a dark secret, well actually it isn't always dark. Sometimes it’s a light secret, or a frosted secret, a caramel secret, or a nutty gooey secret. My secret is that I have a secret sweet tooth. I usually am really good, but there are times that I cannot overcome my problem and I eat massive amounts of chocolate or dessert or really anything that is a tasty treat that can be considered a sweet. For example, there are some of you who have experienced Rachel's cookies, I could easily eat ten of those in a sitting. Or rice krispie treats, easily half a sheet. See’s candies, a two tiered box. Halloween time for me is not good, or for that matter Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, birthday parties, family get together, reunions, weddings, buffets...must I go on?

Well that's us in a nutshell, and hopefully that is the last tagging we write about, and in that same spirit, we tag: nobody.

5 comments:

Jo Lynn said...

Yeah, you guys did it and I LOVE all of your quirks and I love that both of you shared. Jared, that is so funny with kneck hair cuz Casey and I are the same way. I really enjoy shaving his neck with a sharp razor, it looks like he just got a hair cut every time I do it. I can't get over that you don't use water when brushing your teeth, I bet you look like a dog foaming at the mouth, LOL!
Rachel, I can totally picture you as a wiggler, poor Jared. :) You'll have to post a picture of what your pancakes look like, too funny! I agree with the material thing in a way. When Sav was a newborn I never wanted to "dress" her up cuz I thought she wouldn't be comfy and snuggled in some dress with tights and shoes and all that. I always went for the sweats or the soft clothes to put on her.
Jared, I don't even have to speak to say how much we are a like with your last quirk because you've witnessed it for yourself. As a matter of fact, I still never mastered the recipe and they will NEVER be as good as when Rachel makes them,mmmmmm! I miss you guys so much, especially after reading about your quirks! Love ya

capturingtheride said...

Thanks, guys, that was fun to read (and hopefully not too painful to write!) I'm totally with ya'll on the pancake slashes, the list-making, and ooooh that nasty neck hair. I've never even thought of brushing w/o water! The things you learn! :)

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

Aw guys, it's been too long!! We love the Rifes! And I don't do the water and toothbrush thing either. :)
Now I'm gonna think about you guys all day tomorrow..it will be a great day.

Jen said...

Rach, the whole bed time routine would be super annoying! I definately have to get a drink before bed and it does take me a long time to fall asleep but I'm glad that I don't have to start it all over again if I were to get up! Jared- the not wetting your toothbrush thing is crazy! I didn't know people like you existed haha jk. I have to use HOT water when brushing. Mike thinks thats wierd. And the neck hair thing...maybe you can rub that off on Mike a little! One of these days I'm going to shave it in his sleep muahaha.

Sarraphim said...

Hehehe! That was really, REALLY fun to read. :D I'm glad you guys still seem to be having fun in your new home, and I'm glad you still have friends back in Provo... we're not all that bad, after all. ;)