Thursday, March 29, 2012

All About China

I got some really great educational books about different places. We studied China the other day. The book is "D is for Dancing Dragon the Chinese Alphabet". Jack and Madi really got into the idea. We learned about Chinese writing, the great wall of China, Chinese new year and much more.

I love learning about different people and places...so do the kids! Jack is especially interested. He loves looking on the map and locating different places. We even had a Chinese meal and Jack and Madi did exceptionally well with chop sticks.

Here they are showing off their Chinese lanterns.


The great wall of China...which Jackson masterfully put together and Madi continually attempted to knock over.

The Emperor's Palace

Our Chinese writing art project exploded into an afternoon of art. I have been guilty of not promoting arts and crafts with the kids...I have been attempting to improve (although lately I feel like I am just trying to survive more than anything...anxiously awaiting baby #3).

Jack is not usually interested in coloring or writing for long periods of time. Fine motor skills has never been his specialty or interest. But, he really got into this art lesson. He drew and painted. When we were done he followed it up with some artistic pieces on the trampoline (with sidewalk chalk). Then he moved his art work to the sidewalk so that Madi wouldn't erase it while jumping (which she did happily, much to Jackson's dismay).


Jack spent a good 2-3 hours lost in a world of creative art. I love to see what their minds think of, and then produce on paper. Jack really got into drawing octopuses and pirates outside. So much fun! Here are a few results from the days work.

Jack drew a rainbow and the family upon my personal request. I was encouraging Jack to give us arms and hair. When he drew my hair it was short, like the others and I said Jack I have long hair, so he drew a LONG horizontal line above my head...my hair must be blowing in the wind. :)

Jack was very proud of this piece, he painstakingly painted every single spot on the paper (one of my personal favorites).

Madison's Chinese writing...and a sun and some other fun stuff.

Jack was super proud of this one. The day before he decided on his own accord to make this card by cutting it and taping some string in the middle. Then he decided to decorate it with fire blaster (a made up bad guy from Jack's imagination), and Jack (the small one on the bottom). Notice that some paper has been glues over the original card, well Jack apparently didn't get fire blaster's head just right and had a MAJOR break down about it (it lasted about 1/2 an hour...he was really hungry). Anyway, after much debate I finally convinced him that we couldn't erase marker, or wash it with soap. After much ado (and a good lunch) he came up with this master piece!

I love the little Madi hand prints on this one. She likes to include her body while painting...her hands, elbow, face, shirt, mom's clothes etc. I guess she needs to experience it all.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love the art work. So fun to do that with your kids! Maybe we can do some of that when we come to visit.
Jen

capturingtheride said...

We have a very large Asian population here in Seattle, so we celebrate Chinese New Year and it is one of my favorites! I love long afternoons of artwork/creative work - since feeling yucky most of my pregnancy that's most of what we do...I can sit at the table and cut/sew/paint/draw and the kids follow suit. The floor under our kitchen table is a constant mess (I'm glad it's a wood floor!) but it sweeps us away for a few hours and gives me a bit of joy, not to mention the kids something to do, on many days when I am not feeling well enough to drag us all around for errands or outings. I'm hanging there with ya in the surviving until baby #3 arrives! Only jealous you're 3 weeks ahead of me! So excited for you! We are getting closer to crossing the "finish line" and meeting those sweet new baby girls! I often think about how they must be good friends up in Heaven, waiting to come down so close together :)

Heather said...

What a FUN day (or week, however long it lasted:)). I'm loving all the creativity!