Thursday, May 22, 2008

A beautiful day


While reading a friends blog I was reminded how much I too loved Elder Ballard's conference talk on motherhood. In his talk he quoted Anna Quindlen, she said:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

I have been pondering this quote for a few days now. Today I really took time to enjoy the doing moments a little more. Today was a busy yet full day. Jared and I were able to attend the temple together. It was wonderful to be in the House of the Lord together. And among all the other busy things I had to do today (mainly work) I was accompanied by my husband and my joyous son.


Jackson brings me much joy. He is so excited about life...and it is contagious. I love how he talks and screeches for joy over new found toys. I love how he smiles at me while sticking out his tongue. I love how he challenges himself by testing his balance...let go...grab mom's leg....ok let go again. I love the tender moments that I have holding him right after he has fallen asleep. I love seeing how he has grown in my arms. These are moments I love and treasure.


3 comments:

lori said...

Love your thoughts, Rachel. You are a wonderful mother and such a dear friend. Thanks for all that you do for your own little family -and for mine!

Jacob said...

It is exactly that - living in and making the most of those little moments - which made me honored to care for others' little ones for 11 years as a nanny. Sometimes I felt guilty - while they were off at work or doing other things, I got to see the joy in their child's eyes, and hear the laughter, and receive the smile. I loved that I could learn so many lessons like that, and enjoy the company of such wonderful children...until...I could one day have my own. I can't believe I am actually going to have my own! Keep that quite fresh and frequent it when life gets busy or tasks seem like mountains. You can ALWAYS turn the tedious tasks of life into a game to enjoy with your little one(s)!

Jackson is lucky to have you guys as parents :)

Jacob said...

ps- Jacob says he likes the little screech - says it sounds like a little pterodactyl. It also looks like little Jack is finally getting some hair!